Saturday, August 24, 2013

Hair Weave- is it a social problem?

Hair Weave - Historically

Black Women and Black Men have both worn head dressing as it is called formally. This has been going on forever in Africa. The difference from today is that the African people wore hair from real human hair/ Black hair!

This is the point, I want to make is that weave is bad of course, but why do beautiful Black women have to wear hair weave that looks European in style and texture?

So lets go hard, for a second on the Queens! No other women in the world puts on fake hair as much as Black women in America why? No other women in the world try to look like a woman from another race so much why? Plus its a multi- billion dollar industry which no Black people are major players in the business? I have written blogs before, explaining the dangers of none human hair.

SISTER'S CHEMICALLY MADE WEAVE CAUSE CANCER!!! It has been proven this is why for the most part hair weave processing and manufacturing is not done in the states, cause of probable law suits, due to the chemicals used to process the weave, even the hair glue is very toxic!

*Tip
Dear sister's the whole beauty process you all are doing is toxic! They killing yall! The fake nails are toxic! Don't you see them Asians wearing mask when doing your nails? Where is your mask? Those chemicals cause cancer! {lung cancer especially} The hair glue is toxic, so toxic the ingredients are not even labeled! {the only other thing with no ingredients label is cigarettes} think about sister's!

That's the health side of the whole hair weave issue!

Now to go harder, the sociological effect it is having on our people. Black Women will always claim how strong they our, and they are strong, no doubt about that!

So lets take a look in the mirror from a sociological stand point, you have a Black woman claiming to be strong but the first thing you see or notice is she looks European?

So lets address the outward appearance of the Black Women, and see how this plays out?

1. I would say respect is sometimes, well most time given based on outward appearances, because in America we dress based upon how we feel or think, or who we think we are, we sort of wear are feeling or personalities in are clothing!

Example:
Sometime shy women cover up when dressing. Sometime confident women reveal it all. Its our culture in America rather we agree or not!

So what does it say to others when you decide to look like a person from another race, in this case White women? Now here is the irony in this whole situation, for the most part White women and Black women have a very strained relationship in general, especially on the professional level. Which I observed while attending college, I seen how White women had open arms for me, but shunned away from Black women! {Thank you, Katrina for showing me that}

Now for a little humor, sister's how would it look if Black men claimed to be strong but wore wigs looking like White men?

Example:
African men living in the colonial era of America 1500- 1700, wearing them white wigs, trying look like a Black George Washington, them brothers look crazy as hell, like straight sell outs! But truth of the matter those brothers that wore the wigs were well to do Blacks and free from slavery, but their minds where enslaved because they wanted to look like a White man! Could that same scenario exist for Black women today? I think so, but am not the judge, sister's you are! 

2. Black men are marrying White women by the droves! White Woman act just like Black Women, first of all women are women regardless of color and race, that is a myth! A Big White Lie!  Could this be because of the Black woman's pursuit to have a European appearance?

Hint:
I know people fall in love for different reason, am just suggesting some unseen or not discuss factors?

3. Black boys growing up not wanting to date Black girls or women? I am yet to understand that concept? So how is it a young Black man, with a Black mother, Grand- mother, aunts and sisters turn around say I do not date Black women period! What happened in that household to produce that attitude towards Black women? Yes, culture {music & television} does play a part to degree, but this is most likely a core issue out of the home. When you say I prefer White women that's totally different from saying I NEVER DATE Black women or I want date a Black woman!

Sister's am not totally blaming you but on the real, YOU CAN'T DO A BETTER JOB THAN GOD HAS ALREADY DONE, YOU TRYING TO FIX WHATS ALL READY PERFECT, YOUR BLACKNESS!

We love you Black woman, you do not have to look like nobody else, check this out, if the men you date prefer Black women who look like White women it is him with the problem not you! Love who God made you!

These were all just suggest to some alarming problems in our community, just some ideas to think about for all of us!

love, live and learn



4 comments:

  1. First, I would like to start by saying I enjoy reading your blog. Although I agree with many of your viewpoints, I had to express my disagreement with some of your thoughts on this subject.

    Weaved hair should not be viewed as a social issue. Black women have always been put into an awkward position about their hair and general appearance. I am sure from the time the straightening comb and perms became part of black culture, black women were challenged about staying true to their heritage.

    I can't speak for all black women, but I can voice my feelings about this subject. There are several reasons that I periodically wear weaves that are not a social issue, but a personal one:

    * Versatility - being able to try out a new hairstyle without a long term commitment if it isn't working the way I planned. I remember the days of cutting my hair in a geometric style and hating it a month later. Do you realize how long it takes hair to grow back? A long time, especially if you are trying to go into a Bob style.lol
    * Convenience - being able to workout and get my hair together with very little work. I know the argument to this that "natural" hair can be fixes with very little work, but I don't choose to wear my hair natural at this time.
    * Choice - being able to choose how "I" like to wear "my" hair. How is my choice to wear a weave a societal issue or me acting white. My decision about how I wear my hair is no different than someone who chooses to put tattoos on their body, put piercings into their body, or wear makeup on their faces. They are all choices to do something that none of us were born with.

    A black woman's loyalty to her heritage should not be determined by how she chooses to wear her hair. Nor should those of us that wear weaves feel that we are some how causing a rift in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K.T. Thank you!

    I read your comments and I respect that totally! I understand where you come from, but maybe I wrote or expressed myself wrong! Am not really talking about you or women like you at all!

    All Black people know we have some sell- outs in our race, but when you talk to people no one is one {sell out}? So that the dilemma we are in but there are Black women who do want to be White/ White woman!

    I love my sister, and maybe the topic came off as a sweeping or general statement, but its not all, its a target statement a select few, but in power positions just to put a couple name out there who are having a huge effect on young Black girls the wrong way, to me? {lil Kim & Nikki Minaj}

    They are sending a message look at me this is what you have to be successful, and thats not true at all, so these are the people whom am targeting not you!!!

    Debate is very good and health for both sides, please comment anytime!
    If you read my work become a member, support me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the response. Your argument about how some celebrities are portrayed is a fair statement. These women are role models whether we like it or not. I still am not ready to make weave a societal issue because I think our lack of self love is deeper than that. I won't go down that rabbit hole right now. Let's save that for another blog topic.

    By the way this is Kendra Thorington-Fox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks K.T.
    I totally respect that. I even had a private conversation on the phone about the whole weave topic! Which was very good for both them and me! Am not saying at the end that person total agreed but they learn alot from that conversation, and understood what I was getting at!

    Blog topics are very general info, and short as possible. Because people do not like to read, so if it is to long you lose them as a read!

    but you have to call me or inbox for the whole story! lol

    thank you, become a member

    ReplyDelete