Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Black History Month- Cultrual Icon/ Muhuammad Ali

This is my personal favorite athlete of all time. I remember as a little boy eating cereal and  on Saturday morning watching "I am the Greatest, the adventures of Muhammad Ali Cartoon"! Ali and my Grandfather were my hero's! In those days Muhammad Ali, was known as the Champ! I might have been about 3 or 4 years old when my grandfather started giving me box lesson. I remember, me and my grandfather watching fights of Muhammad Ali on the weekends on {ABC} Wide World of Sports. My grandfather loved boxing and told me I could be boxer one day, and I wanted to be just like my hero Muhammad Ali.

If you do not know about Muhammad Ali, he was more than just a boxer. He was iconic as man he stood up for what he believed no matter what! Rather that was the protest of the Vietnam War or the unacceptable treatment of Blacks in America. Muhammad Ali made you feel good to be Black! He would say things like" am Black and Pretty!" Am the GREATEST of all time!" That was powerful for a young boy to be able to identify with a strong Black man, somebody that look like me, and was proud to be Black! Growing up in 1970s was still a very critical time in America, tensions were still high after Races Riots of the late 1960s that swept across the country!

But no matter how high tension was Ali always promoted being Black! He received numerous death threats, I can remember my grandfather saying I hope they do not kill him, and I remember thinking cant nobody beat the Champ, if they did, when I got big I would beat them up!

                                                        Muhammad Ali Bio

Muhammad Ali was born Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr. In Louisville, Kentucky in 1942. Cassius has one younger brother Rudy Clay {Rahman Ali}.

Muhammad Ali has been married 4 times. Muhammad Ali has nine (9) children seven (7) girls and two (2) boys.

He currently lives in Louisville, Kentucky with his wife as of 2013.

                                                           Cassius and Islam

Cassius younger brother Rudy introduce him to Islam. Cassius went by the name Cassius X, before taking the name Muhammad Ali. Muhammad Ali has been devoted to Islam, even when the Nation of Islam shunned him. Ali and Malcolm X were very close, but Ali did not agree with Malcolm X, publicly disagree with Elijah Muhammad.

                                                   Muhammad Ali the Boxer

He started boxing at age 12, after his bike was stolen! He went on to win golden gloves three (3) years in a row then went onto become national golden glove champ. He then went on to win the gold medal in the 1960 Olympics in Rome. He went on to win the professional heavyweight title 3 times!

                                                             Ali the Activist

I think for those who know or know about Ali feel, he was bigger than a boxer! He was activist,  boxing was just his stage to launch attention to his causes. He was huge in the Black power movement, not so much to he was a traditional protester. He protested in his on way, of self love, of being Black and Proud! Not only that but he lost everything in his battle with United States government against the Vietnam War! But in the end he won with KO!

Muhammad Ali, I personally thank you, for what you did for me growing up as a kid! Champ your the GREATEST of all TIME!

Love, Live and learn

                                                       


No comments:

Post a Comment